The airport of Nan is called Nan Nakhon Airport (NNT) and it located a 5-min drive from down-town Nan. The airport is connecting Nan daily with Don Muang Airport in Bangkok and some days also with Chiang Mai Airport. Read more at Nan Nakhon Airport.
By BUS or MINI-VAN
The Bus Station of Nan town is located in the southern part of Nan town and connects Nan town to places in Nan to places like Huai Kon, Pua, Chiang Klang and Thung Chang, Mae Charim and Wiang Sa. And inter-regional with Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phayao, Phrae, Lampang and Chiang Rai. But also with places like Phuket and Rayong! And since 2017 there is an international bus going from Nan to Luang Prabang (Laos). Read more at Nan Bus Station.
Nan has no train station, the nearest train-station would be in Den Chai (145 km south of Nan town). You can take the bus or mini-van to / from Den Chai. From Den Chai you can take the train to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. For information about trains see State Railway of Thailand.
By CAR or MOTORBIKE
All roads to/from Nan are good roads (mostly divided highways) and connecting Nan with all major cities in North-Thailand (and from there to the rest of Thailand). Nan is a great destination for motorbike tours.
- From Bangkok go north to Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok. Then take route 11 to Den Chai and route 101 to Nan. It is about 650 km and takes about 8 hours.
- From Chiang Mai go south via route 11 to Lampang and Den Chai. Then follow route 101 to Nan. It is about 320 km and takes about 5 hours.
- From Chiang Rai go south via route 1020 to Chiang Kham and then route 1148 to Tha Wang Pha. Then follow route 101 to Nan. It is about 240 km and takes about 5 hours.
- From Luang Prabang (Laos) follow route 4 to Huai Kon border crossing and then route 101 to Nan. It is about 370 km and takes about 8 hours excluding the time of crossing the border. You will find more information at Going to Laos
- For more information read Everything about Transport